Applications & Permits

Please access development applications and related permits for your development project.

Zoning Permit

A zoning permit is required for any structure erected within the Town of Woodstock limits. This includes, but is not limited to, the erection or placement of sheds, garages, signs, additions, fencing, houses, commercial buildings, etc.

The Town of Woodstock requires that a Zoning Permit (PDF) be completed before any building occurs and Shenandoah County Building Inspections Department will not issue a building permit until the zoning permit is issued by the Town of Woodstock. Once your Town permit is approved, we forward the permit to the Shenandoah County Building Inspections Department. We will contact you upon approval and at that time you will need to then contact the County to obtain the building permit through their office. 

General Land Use Permit

A General Land Use Permit (PDF) is required for any modification or work conducted in the town's right-of-way (sidewalk, street, etc.). This includes, but is not limited to:

  • Culvert installation
  • Driveway entrances
  • Street tree planting
  • Utility installation or repair

Right-of-Way Permit

A Right-of-Way Permit (PDF) is required for any items placed in or protruding over the right-of-way (temporarily or permanently), including, but not limited to:

  • Awnings
  • A-frame signs (to be taken in during closed hours)
  • Kiosks

The right-of-way permit is free of charge. Please note: if you are placing an object in a sidewalk area, please document how large the path of travel will be in order to make room for those on wheels.

Site Plan Application

A Site Plan Application (PDF) is required to be submitted with copies of the development plans for any commercial or residential housing development in the Town of Woodstock. Please see section 90-391 of the Code of the Town of Woodstock for more information on site plan requirements.

Design Specifications Manual

The town Design Specifications Manual is utilized to inform design requirements developers pertaining to policies and procedures for water, sewer, stormwater management, and streets standards and specifications. Please contact Public Works at 540-459-3045 with any questions about the information contained in the manual.

Land Disturbance Permit & Stormwater Management

Shenandoah County Planning and Zoning reviews all Erosion and Sediment Control Plans, as well as Stormwater Management Plans, for all of the towns within Shenandoah County. Shenandoah County, in addition to state law, requires that before any land disturbance occurs, a plan shall be submitted and approved.

Preliminary Plat Application

A Preliminary Plat Application (PDF) can be submitted to the zoning administrator for the Planning Commission to review the preliminary design for a development. In addition to the application, copies of the preliminary drawings, described in chapter 70 of the Code of the Town of Woodstock, indicating the proposed manner or layout of the subdivision shall be submitted to the planning commission for preliminary approval.

Final Plat Application

A Final Plat Application (PDF) shall be submitted with copies of the final plat drawings to the zoning administrator for the Planning Commission's review. Final plats are required on any boundary line adjustment, vacation, subdivision, etc. Requirements for the final plats are found in chapter 70 of the Code of the Town of Woodstock.

Rezoning Application

A Rezoning Application (PDF) is required for any proposed property rezoning.

Special Use Permit Application

A Special Use Permit Application (PDF) is required to accompany a request to begin a use that requires a special use permit under the Zoning District Regulations, found in chapter 90 of the Code of the Town of Woodstock.

Portable Storage Containers / PODS

An Application for Portable Storage Container (PDF) is required if you plan to install this container on your property. The fee to apply is $25. 

Board of Zoning Appeals Application

An application to the Board of Zoning Appeals (PDF) is required to appeal the zoning administrator's decision or interpretation of the zoning code.

Infrastructure Inspection Report (Occupancy Permit)

An infrastructure inspection report is required after a structure is built, relocated, or a different use than the previous use is instituted before occupancy can occur. The zoning administrator will identify whether or not all all zoning regulations have been met, in addition to the proper installation of infrastructure (sidewalks, roads, water meter crocks, water and sewer lines, etc.).

The approved report is sent to Shenandoah County Building Inspections Department in order for them to conduct an occupancy inspection and permit issuance.

When you plan on applying for occupancy, or before a closing is scheduled, please contact the Planning and Zoning Department and provide the address of the property to be inspected and the applicable fee.

Please reference the Schedule of Development Fees for all applications and permits.

Municipal Boundary Line Adjustment Application

If a property owner or other interested party is interested in bringing a property into the municipal boundaries of town an application for a Municipal Boundary Line Adjustment (PDF) is required. Additionally, in August 2021, the Town Council adopted a Municipal Boundary Line Adjustment Policy (PDF) to inform requests and the decision making process.