How to Start a Utility Service


To establish a new water and sewer service for an existing home, the homeowner needs to contact the Town Office at (540) 459-3621.


A renter must come to the Town Office, located at 135 North Main Street (across from the movie theater) to pay a water deposit. The water deposit must be paid before the service can be put in a renter’s name. When the renter discontinues service, the deposit will be applied to the final bill and if there is any amount of the deposit remaining on that final bill, that amount will be refunded to the renter. Please reference the Water and Sewer Rates for your convenience.

Due to legislation passed in 2012, specifically Virginia State Code Section 15.2-2119, the town had to change the way a customer places water and sewer into his / her name. A landlord (property owner) must authorize a renter to place the water and sewer service into his / her name. Please see below for more information.

Landlords & Renters

Please complete the Landlord Authorization Form (PDF) before coming to the Municipal Office to have water and sewer connected.

If you are a landlord and wish to access the policy on the collection of unpaid water and sewer bills, please contact the Municipal Office at (540) 459-3621.

Automatic Deduction of Your Water & Sewer Bill

If you would like your monthly water, sewer and refuse bill to be automatically deducted from the bank account of your choice, please access our instructions (PDF).

System Development Charges (SDCs) for New Construction

To establish water and sewer service taps for new construction, the general contractor or the homeowner must come to the Town Office in person to establish service. Water and sewer connection forms must be signed and tap fees must be paid.

Additional Resources

Water & Sewer System Development Charges & Connection Policy (PDF)

New Utility Account Application (PDF)